Here are things I think you’ll need to complete this job. This is not an exhaustive list. I took it apart six months ago, and now I’m writing what I can remember.
- Torx driver for your socket wrench. Torx screwdrivers might work but I think you will require the leverage of the wrench.
- Drill and small drill bits.
- Utility knife with several new blades.
- Safety goggles or something else to protect your peepers.
- Carburetor cleaner (2 cans, I suppose).
- Something to mop up the mess you might make. I have had success with a product called Pigmat, but anything like that is nice if you have it handy. Not required, of course.
Free advice: worth everything you paid for it!
Use caution! You should assume that your fuel pump is full of gasoline. Take all necessary steps to protect yourself, your family, your property, etc. For me, that meant that I did not take this apart in the garage, on the boat, in the car, in the kitchen, etc. Obviously open flames, smoking, etc. fall into the bad idea category when working with gasoline. By the time I took mine apart, the gas had evaporated. However, I had mine sitting in a bucket for at least a year before I opened it up. If you recently removed your fuel pump assembly, it almost certainly contains fuel. Plan ahead so that you have somewhere to pour and store the fuel.
This is a view from the top. I loosely re-assembled the parts so you can get a better idea of what you’re facing if you attempt this job. You don’t need to remove the torx (star-drive) screws on the top!
You must remove the torx screws from the bottom. The top of at least one screw will be sealed with epoxy. I used a small drill bit to drill the epoxy out of the center. The screws are made of stainless steel and they’re tough. I think you’d have to be pretty careless to drill away the torx indentations and thus not be able to remove the screw.
Using your fingers, take some small drill bits and poke them into the top of one of the torx screws that doesn’t have epoxy. Find the largest bit that you can spin in the center without biting into the angled edges of the torx head. Now, load that bit into your drill and go for it. The epoxy is tough, but not as tough as the steel screw. You should have no trouble carving out the epoxy in the center with the drill.
You may have trouble getting the epoxy out of the remaining crevices. I used several utility knife blades to carve out the rest so that I could use the correct drive to remove the screw. I had to be thorough or I could not get the torx drive to go into the screw’s head far enough to remove it. I think I had to keep digging at it for something like 10 minutes, but once the epoxy was gone the rest was pretty easy.
There is a screw that goes here! Remove it, and the band that holds the high-pressure pump in place comes off. With the band removed you can remove the pump. You’ll see more pics a bit later.
Here it is with the band off!
Here you see that with the screws removed from the bottom, you can separate the parts of the assembly. They don’t just fall apart. You will have to pull/coax them apart. I took this picture so that you can see the rubber seals around the parts you’ll need to remove. Once the screws are removed the pumps need to be twisted and pulled to get them to come out. Take care! Be firm, yet gentle.
Here’s the top removed and turned upside-down, for what it’s worth. You can see a bit of corrosion around the edge. There’s also some crud in there. I already cleaned it, so maybe this is as good as I can get it. However, that was a while ago, so I think I’ll give it another go before I put it all back together.
The end that gets clogged. You can see a hint of the screen just inside the opening.
I tried to get a better view of the same thing with sunlight and a bit of flash from my phone’s camera. It’s not a prize winning picture, but I hope you get the idea.
Here’s the same view of the low-pressure pump. My lighting technique has come a long way.
Looking up the wazoo of the other half of the assembly. Again, I already cleaned this out, but will probably give it another go before I finally put it back together.
Notes, comments, etc.
Man, I should have put this back together the same day I took it apart. Originally, I thought this was garbage after replacing it with a new pump assembly, but I’m kind of a parts hoarder I guess, because I couldn’t bring myself to throw it away.
When I saw a post about a guy who refurbished his I was excited to tear this little SOB apart. To my delight and surprise, it was exactly as predicted! The clean screens you can see in my pics were so clogged that I didn’t even know there were screens in there. It looked like a rubber plug. I think I read about how there were clogged screens, but until I actually saw it I wouldn’t have believed it.
I used a can or two of carb cleaner to remove the gunk. Wear eye protection because it comes jetting back out of the small opening. I seem to remember that I was the poster-child for the ignorant way to spray carb cleaner into a blocked, confined orifice.
Welp, that’s about all I can think of to mention here. There is more conversation on the YouTube post, and that’s probably where it belongs. I only made this because I didn’t think it would work well to post all of these pics to YouTube.